Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Say Cheese


I love cheese. I can spend a lot of time looking at the selection of cheese at Trade Joe's or any specialty market. When I go to the farmer's markets, you are likely to find me talking to the artisan cheese makers and sampling their wares.

Over in Studio City, there's a place called the Artisan Cheese Gallery. Back before Christmas, my friend Gillian invited a group of us to attend a wine and cheese tasting there. It was a splendid evening, and I had hoped to get back over there with Len to try some different cheeses. Life got in the way, but we happened to be in the neighborhood last week and stopped off, possibly prompted by the cheese tasting my son got to go to at the famous Cheese Store of Beverly Hills a few weeks ago.

We were treated to a mini cheese tasting and finally settled on (starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise below) Blu Bufala, a blue buffalo milk cheese from Italy, Beemster extra aged Gouda cow's milk cheese from Holland, Cabot Clothbound Cheddar cow's milk cheese from Vermont, and Toma Maccagno a soft cow's milk cheese with saffron in the rind from Italy.
Dinner that night consisted of cheese, bread, fruit and nuts. Heavenly, though probably not a good choice for a steady diet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good diet to me! Of course, maybe a teensy bit of bias here.... Hope you enjoyed the Clothbound....

Wendy
Cabot Cheese

M. C. Valada said...

Yes indeed Wendy, we enjoyed the Clothbound very much. I'm quite fond of cheddar with apples, and, of course, apple pie as well. I'm also a big fan of extra-sharp cheddar, which seems to have been easier to come by when I grew up in upstate New York than it is in California.